Advices

Which plants should we not bring into our flats if we have cats?

Every owner knows well that if we fill our flats with plants, then pets will chew on them sooner or later. Many houseplants and flowers are harmful or even poisonous to our cats, so it is good to consider which ones we buy.

Which plants should we not bring into our flats if we have cats?

A pretty houseplant or gorgeous bouquet might be the most beautiful decoration in our home, but if we keep a cat, we have to thoroughly prepare so that our pets get to know the plants potted and placed into vases. Due to their natural sense of discovery, they love to give their all climbing to the highest point in our flat, so it is hard to place the plants in a safe location. Their curiosity is boundless, so they will repeatedly taste even those poisonous plants left within their reach, which can lead to serious problems.

 

The following plants and flowers are viewed as especially harmful to the health of our velvet pawed friends:

 

  • Lilies and hydrangeas are on the black list as both are very poisonous.

  • Bulbs such as daffodil, tulip, hyacinth, amaryllis and crocus can also be harmful.

  • Chrysanthemums are lovely but not cat-friendly, among potted plants, cyclamen and kalanchoe are also dangerous.

  • Considering house plants, the dragon tree, poinsettia, ivy, peace lily, as well as other vines should be kept away from cats.

 

If you would like to furnish your flat with plants, choose sword ferns, Christmas cacti or bromelias. Flowers such as African violet, moth orchids and roses are winners, but areca palms and aspidistra can also be good choices.

 

What do we do if there is a problem?

 

If you find out your cat has chewed on some plant, do not panic. First and foremost, if you suspect poisoning, go to the vet in any case to prevent serious problems. Even before putting the cat into the carrier and heading to the clinic, be sure that no plant matter remains in the fur or on the palate to cause any further reactions. The various parts of the plants have varying effects on our pets. Some cause irritations that affect the skin, mouth and stomach, and in serious cases the nervous system, and others can endanger the kidneys and hearts.

 

How do we recognize the symptoms of poisoning?

 

In the case of irritation, the skin reddens and becomes itchy, the mouth sensitive. Swelling can also be a sign, though the effects of plants causing poisoning are mostly observed in the gastrointestinal tract, i.e., the digestive system. Materials attacking the nervous system can influence the function of the stomach, colon, kidneys or the heart. Symptoms to be aware of that could indicate the health of the cat may be in danger can include difficulty in breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drinking and urination, as well as slowed, rapid or irregular heartbeat.

 

What happens at the vet?

 

Recognizing the cause of the poisoning or irritation is very important for establishing an exact diagnosis. Give the exact name of the plant which the cat has consumed so that the treatment can start as soon as possible. The examination of the animal’s physical condition can then begin. Also be prepared to provide exact answers about your pet’s current or previous illnesses and sensitivities. Some tests will need to be conducted to determine which systems are affected by the consumed plant.

 

What can we do for our cats?

 

Poisoning by some plants can be fatal, regardless of how soon or how well they receive medical attention. This is true for lilies, but other plants can cause such damage that be reversed, given proper after-care, medicinal treatment and special diets. In any case, follow the vet’s instructions and be sure that your pet does not snack on any more dangerous plants, even accidentally.

 

Back to Advices